Soft Sand Review - Public Consultation
Published: 14 January 2020
Statement of Representations Procedures and Availability of Documentation
Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012
Soft Sand Review of the West Sussex Joint Minerals Local Plan
The West Sussex Joint Minerals Local Plan (JMLP) was adopted by West Sussex County Council and the South Downs National Park Authority (the Authorities) in July 2018. Policy M2 of the JMLP requires the Authorities to undertake a review to address the shortfall in soft sand to the end of the JMLP plan period (2033). This review sets the strategy for how the shortfall will be met, including identifying allocations for soft sand extraction.
Following informal public consultation (Reg. 18 stage) during January – March 2019, West Sussex County Council and the South Downs National Park Authority have published the Soft Sand Review of the Joint Minerals Local Plan for formal representations (Reg.19 stage).
The purpose of the representations period is to allow local communities and other interested parties the opportunity to submit representations about whether the proposed changes to the JMLP through the Soft Sand Review are ‘sound’ (that is, has the review been positively prepared, it is justified, it is effective, and it is consistent with national policy), and that it is legally and procedurally compliant. Following completion of the representations period, the review will be submitted to the Secretary of State to undergo an Examination-in-public by a Government-appointed Inspector.
Document Title: Soft Sand Review of the West Sussex Joint Minerals Local Plan
Subject matter and area covered: The Proposed Submission Draft Review addresses the following three key issues:
• Issue 1: the identified need for soft sand during the period to 2033;
• Issue 2: the supply strategy proposed to meet the identified shortfall; and
• Issue 3: the proposed allocation of sites for soft sand extraction
Once adopted, the review will replace the relevant sections of the JMLP as formal changes.
Representation Period: From 6 January to 11.59pm on Monday 2 March 2020
Representations can be made electronically by using the online response form, or in writing using the paper response form, sent to:
Planning Services (Ref Soft Sand)
West Sussex County Council
For further information please contact us by letter, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 01243 642118
All proposed submission documents, including the evidence base and the Sustainability Appraisal are available to view on the County Council’s website at www.westsussex.gov.uk/mwdf
All documents are available for inspection from 6 January to Monday 2 March 2020 at the main locations and opening times listed below:
• West Sussex County Council, County Hall, West Street, Chichester, PO19 1RQ (Mon-Thurs 8:30am-5:00pm; Fri 8:30am-4:30pm)
• South Downs Centre, North Street, Midhurst, GU29 9DH (Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm; Fri 9am-4:30pm)
• Adur District Council, The Shoreham Centre, Pond Road, Shoreham-by-Sea, BN43 5WU (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
• Adur & Worthing Councils, Portland House, 44 Richmond Road, Worthing, BN11 1HS (Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm)
• Arun District Council Reception, Planning Department Reception, Arun Civic Centre, Maltravers Road, Littlehampton, BN17 5LF (Mon-Thurs 8:45am-5:15pm; Fri 8:45am-4:45pm)
• Chichester District Council Reception, East Pallant House, 1 East Pallant, Chichester, PO19 1TY (Mon-Thurs 8:45am-5:10pm; Fri 8:45am-5pm)
• Crawley Borough Council Reception, Town Hall, The Boulevard, Crawley, RH10 1UZ (Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm)
• Horsham District Council and West Sussex County Council Reception, Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham, RH12 1RL (Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm)
• Mid Sussex District Council Reception, Oaklands, Oaklands Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1SS (Mon-Thurs 8:45am-5:15pm; Fri 8:45am-4:15pm)
The Soft Sand Review, as well as electronic copies of the supporting documents, are available for inspection at West Sussex libraries, during their normal opening hours. To find your nearest library please visit: